Performance marketing tips and advice
My latest thoughts on sales & marketing
How to Build a Business Case in Sales
Published on October 06, 2022
As sellers, it can be tempting to rely on value consultant teams for building a business case. However, it’s always helpful to understand the inner workings of building a business case, especially in startup environments where value consultants may not be readily available.
In this episode of the Love Selling Hate Sales episode, our host Joshua Wagner shares five easy steps to building your own business case that you can use to build value and pursue smaller but equally important deals.
- Stop relying on value consultants for building a business case
- Don’t underestimate the value of smaller deals
- You want to separate yourself from the other salespeople
- Step 1: Focus on collecting the inputs and baseline
- Step 2: Identify and find the growth levers
- Step 3: Identify and show the lift
- Step 4: Build an ROI model
- Step 5: Create an executive summary
Josh on why sellers need to know how to build a business case: “I’ve seen time and time again, that when you’re working in a deal cycle and you need to go to your value consulting or value engineer group to build out a business case. They only want to work on the biggest of the big deals. They want to work on the big sexy logos, the million dollar deals, whatever it may be. In the mean time, there are plenty of six-figure plus deals out there that are going to get tremendous value out of building a business case.”
Josh on the importance of identifying and showing revenue lift: “Executives, they love to see revenue lift. They love to see what’s possible. So making sure that you really highlight what that lift looks like as a part of your model is super important.”
- Business Case Lift Model: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1a6cYWGkILYaUJ6iLSAxNgRO-XRWZmmzX/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=100270421913823308516&rtpof=true&sd=true
- Exec Summary Example: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1uSKTaQjl2LLQajgyaweFnW6E2mOuvBMB/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=100270421913823308516&rtpof=true&sd=true
- ROI Model Template: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cCAyA3F7RiWI621qGhVIGKzJAPGDwMAJ/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=100270421913823308516&rtpof=true&sd=true
About Josh Wagner:
Josh is a growth advisor and the host of the Love Selling Hate Sales podcast. He specializes in helping executives understand modern marketing and sales to drive growth in a scalable way.
To learn more about Josh and his work, follow the links below: